Monday, June 3, 2013

Puck just wouldn't. Go. In.

I watched Saturday's game in my usual spot. This time, however, my husband decided to do some decorating. You've heard of Pillow Pets? Well, these are "Pillow Pens" (pitbull sold separately).


It was a frustrating loss, and there's certainly some changes that need to happen as we go into game 2 tonight, but I can't say we played awful. The score could have definitely been 3-3 and going into OT, but as many opportunities as the Pens had, the Bruins defense, specifically Rask, was on fire. Shots were clanging left and right from the goal posts, but not one went in. Boston also did an incredible job of killing our powerplays.

I don't have a ton to say about the Matt Cooke hit. I read this morning that the NHL isn't going to suspend him. You may or may not think that's the right move, but considering the Bruins coach was OK with it, we all should be too. I agree the hit wasn't his best move, and the penalties assigned to him were warranted. However, I do think the refs need to be a bit more consistent. A bad hit is a bad hit, regardless of the name on the jersey. What warrants a penalty shot (I'm thinking of the Detroit game) in one game should warrant it in the next. Cooke got 15. Marchand got 2.

Let's also remember that this is just. a. game. I refuse to even repost what a disgruntled Pens fan tweeded. He's already heard an earful and might want to hire protection. While I take my love for hockey to an extreme obsession at times, there are some words you just can't take back. Think before you type (rant). Pens fans are better than that.

Finally, I will not be watching the remainder of the series with anyone other than my husband. I always thought my father-in-law was crazy for not wanting to watch Steelers games with the rest of the family. He thought it was a jinx. Well, after losing the two games I watched with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, I maintain the same superstition. I think their Flyers blood has put some sort of voo-doo curse that even a bunch of Pillow Pens can't fight off.

No comments:

Post a Comment