Friday, December 6, 2013

The West Isn't Always Best

Normally I'm more excited for Eastern conference matchups, but I was looking forward to the Pens meeting with the Sharks for two reasons:

-San Jose's record more or less mirrored ours and they were on a six game winning streak
-Tyler Kennedy's return to PGH.





I certainly expressed criticism about TK in the past, but he did have a way of coming through when we really needed it. That was evident in the playoffs- the guy is benched and when we finally decide to throw him in, he reminds us of his talent. While not quite easy on the eyes, and I still don't undertsand the whole "licking of the stick" incident, I was sad to see him go and I'm guessing he was too. The tribute to Kennedy during last night's game was a great reminder of his important to the Pens organization. I'm glad he's found a home when he can play more- he seemed to be on the ice quite a bit last night (and did you see him take down Brooks Orpik?).

I predicted a low scoring game. Both goaltenders were on point and it looked it was going to take a serious maneuver to get one in the net. Then the second period happened. One, two, three, four. Without Geno. Then without Dupuis. And while the Sharks made a goalie change, Flower stayed strong and continued to make spectacular saves.

With a Boston loss last night, Montreal has taken the lead in the Atlantic and we remain at the top of the East. But there's no time for gloating, especially when the Pens take on the Bruins in Boston tomorrow night.

God, I love hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment